Monday, November 12, 2007

On Futbol

Capturing emotion is key in any sports photography, and capturing that game winning goal doesn't hurt either. The Conestoga Girls' Soccer Team was playing for the District championships, and I was assigned to shoot the game. It's always fun being at a game that actually matters, but a game that ends in a double overtime goal, with Conestoga winning...now that's something.

One caveat: yes, I was clicking away when sophomore Murphee Greeley kicked in the game winner (above), but one thing: the shot is out of focus. This was painful for me at the time. Heck, it still is now. But, you can't win them all. But, out of focus, man. I can blame it on the autofocus of my lens, which does not work as well in low light situations. It's something to work on.

But, I did shoot the all-important raising of the trophy, which is important.
The photo that ran in the paper was this one:


It's a fun action shot, and it fit the space allotted nicely.

Just wish I had nabbed that goal. Well, that's the thing with sports: a good portion of shots will be bad or out of focus, even if compositionally they're excellent.

The girls may play for the state championships if they win tonight, so I'll be off to Hershey, to hopefully shoot a victory.

Click here to see the photos

No comments: